Cleveland Metroparks Blog
The Best Buzzard Itinerary Ever
This year the "Annual Return of the Buzzards" is special. For more than 55 years, without fail, the turkey vultures (a.k.a. buzzards) have returned to their roost in Hinckley Reservation on March 15. Normally this day falls in the middle of the week, which is the reason we started the Buzzard Sunday event; so everyone could enjoy celebrating these amazing animals' return to the area. But this year, March 15 falls on a Saturday! Which means, you can make an entire weekend out of this unique celebration!
Here is the perfect buzzard itinerary for you and the entire family!
7:00 a.m. to ????
Saturday, March 15 - "The Annual Return of the Buzzards" (Event is over! See you next year!)
- 6:50 a.m. - Arrive at the Buzzard Roost in Hinckley Reservation.
- 7:00 a.m. - Begin the watch.
- 7:10 a.m. - Meet all of the amazing people who take part in this tradition every year.
- 7:30 a.m. - Introduce yourself to the Official Buzzard Spotter, Sharon Hosko (Don't distract her for too long though, she has an important job).
- ???? - Celebrate the first buzzard as it returns to Cleveland Metroparks.
- After ???? - Take the entire family out for a great breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner (It all depends on when the buzzards choose to return) and refuel for the Buzzard Sunday celebration!
Sunday, March 16 - "Buzzard Sunday" (Event is over! See you next year!)
9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- 7 a.m. - All-You-Can-Eat Pancake Breakfast - Served until 2p.m. by the Hinckley Chamber of Commerce at Hinckley Elementary School. Cost of breakfast is $6.50 for adults and $4.00 children 10 and younger. Meal includes all the pancakes you can eat, our world-famous buzzard blend 5-Star sausage, juice, coffee and milk for the kids!
- 9 a.m. - Arrive at the Buzzard Roost in Hinckley Reservation.
- 9:15 a.m. - Take a nature hike. - Leisurely hikes available throughout the day led by Cleveland Metroparks naturalists. Stretch your legs while learning a little history!
- 10 a.m. - Bus tour of Hinckley Reservation. - Take in the scenery around 90-acre Hinckley Lake and Whipp's Ledges, with elevations rising 350 feet above the lake and rock formations more than 250 million years old!
- 11 a.m. - Enjoy a live musical performance featuring Cleveland Metroparks Historical Interpreter and Naturalist Foster Brown
- 11:30 a.m. - Live birds of prey program - birds of prey, also known as raptors, are birds that hunt for their food. Hawks, eagles, ospreys, falcons and owls make up this group of birds with great vision and sharp talons for catching hold of their meals. Come learn more about these majestic predators!
- 12:30 p.m. - Grab some grub and check out the Buzzard Scoreboard, Wingspan Display and the Voyageur Encampment.
- 1:30 p.m. - Buzzard Puppet Show by Cleveland Metroparks Naturalist Mindy Murdock and the Naturepiece Theater.
- 2:00 p.m. - Play a quick game of Buzzard Bean Bag Toss.
- 2:15 p.m. - Stop by the Buzzard Mural Photo Opportunity and take a silly buzzard photo with the whole family!
- 2:30 p.m. - Call it a day and reminisce on your new fond memories that will last a lifetime.
You can follow this itinerary exactly or create your own buzzard adventure. No matter what though, make sure you're at the Buzzard Roost in Hinckley Reservation this weekend for this amazing experience.
The Buzzard Roost is located at the corner of State Road and West Drive in Hinckley Reservation, in Hinckley Township – south of Route 303.
3/17/2014 8:26:40 PM by Eric Barnett
Hi Michael - You can purchase the t-shirts at are online store. Here is a link -https://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/Main/EarthWords.aspx#.UydaXq1dXP0
3/15/2014 1:53:22 PM by Michael Harman
I would like to purchase a large tee shirt! Gladly pay shipping to Louisville and the price of the item.