Increase Text Size Decrease Text Size


General FAQ | Lakefront FAQ

How do I reserve a picnic area?

Call Special Events & Experiences at 216-635-3304 for a reservation or more information Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

What is the address of the picnic area or how do I get there?

Picnic areas do not have addresses because they are not official mail stops. Click here for GPS coordinates.

At the non-reserved picnic areas, is it first-come, first-serve?

Our picnic areas are a shared-use area, if someone is holding a shelter and not using it, but someone else wants to use the shelter, we ask that you share the shelter with the other park visitors. They are not first-come first-serve. Picnic areas open at 6 a.m.

A tree has fallen in my yard and my property is in the park, whom do I call?

Call Park Administration at 216-635-3200 and receptionist will give you the phone number for the park manager in your area and they will determine if tree is located on park property or the property owner's.

How do I subscribe to the Emerald Necklace Magazine?

Click here to subscribe to the Emerald Necklace.

What time do the reservations open and close?

Parks are open from 6 a.m. until 11 p.m.

I'd like to get married in the park — to whom do I speak?

You may call Special Events & Experiences and you will be directed to our reservation department. Call 216-635-3200.

How can I reach a nature center; what are their hours? How can I find your listing in the telephone book?

We are listed in the AT&T Real Yellow Pages in the Business Section. Nature centers, golf courses, Chalet, Earthwords, Zoo and other divisions are listed in phone book or click here.

I have an injured animal in my yard, I found a baby fawn, I found a dead bird, I have raccoons in my attic, there are skunks under my porch? Whom do I call?

For any problem animal, check with your city for "animal control." If you have a concern regarding an injured animal, please call the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Bay Village at 440-871-9453. Or general questions regarding wildlife, please call any of our nature centers or the Ohio Division of Wildlife.

Are there any job openings in the park or the zoo?

You may call our job hot line at 216-635-3211 or click here for updates on full-time, part-time, or seasonal positions.

How do I reach a park manager, your executive director, a ranger, Special Events & Experiences, a nature center, zoo?

Click here for a phone directory or call Park Administration at 216-635-3200 for any telephone number.

Cleveland Metroparks Lakefront Parks Management FAQ:

Cleveland Metroparks took a historic step on Thursday, June 6 and entered into a long-term lease with the City of Cleveland to manage and preserve the City’s six lakefront parks. The move creates a new Lakefront Reservation and strings the “Emerald Necklace” from the Park District’s Huntington Reservation in Bay Village to Euclid Creek Reservation in Euclid.

Here are some frequently asked questions regarding the arrangement:

Why is Cleveland Metroparks taking on management of the Lakefront Parks?

Cleveland Metroparks has just completed its new Strategic Plan as a result of a two year planning effort. The plan, Cleveland Metroparks 2020: The Emerald Necklace Centennial, provides goals and strategies for the Park District’s 100th anniversary in 2017 and beyond. One of the main goals identified in the plan was that Cleveland Metroparks needed to play a key role in improving Greater Cleveland’s lakefront because the Lake Erie waterfront is the region’s defining asset and most important natural resource.

Which properties were involved in the land transfer?

The six lakefront properties include Villa Angela Park, Wildwood Park, Euclid Beach Park, Gordon Park, Edgewater Park and the East 55th Street Marina.

Don’t the lakefront parks belong to the State of Ohio?

No. The State of Ohio has been managing the parks for the City of Cleveland since 1978. The land itself has always belonged to the City. Now, Cleveland Metroparks will manage the land through a 99-year lease agreement with the City. The lease will cost the Park District $1 a year, for a total of $99.

How much land is included?

The six properties consist of about 511 acres along 14 miles of lakefront property.

Will all six properties be included in the new Lakefront Reservation?

The new Lakefront Reservation will consist of the East 55th Street Marina, Edgewater Park and Gordon Park. The other three former state-run parks, Euclid Beach Park, Villa Angela Park and Wildwood Park, will now be part of the existing Euclid Creek Reservation.

Does the property transfer include Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve, formerly known as Dike 14, adjacent to Gordon Park?

The Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve is owned by the Cleveland-Cuyahoga County Port Authority and is not part of the land transfer deal with the City of Cleveland. The building that is adjacent to the Nature Preserve, the former Ohio Department of Natural Resources headquarters building, will transfer to Cleveland Metroparks and be part of the Gordon Park area of the Lakefront Reservation.

Can Cleveland Metroparks afford to manage this many new parks all at once?

Cleveland Metroparks would not take over management of the parks if it were unable to meet the standards it has set throughout the rest of the Park District. The land management agreement also includes the transfer of $14 million from the City of Cleveland to the Park District to be used for improvements at the six properties. The money came from the State of Ohio as part of its agreement with the City to terminate its land management lease.

When will visitors begin to see improvements at the lakefront parks?

Improvements have already begun at the lakefront parks, including clean-up of the beaches in cooperation with the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District. The Park District will concentrate on cleanliness and safety while it assesses a priority list of repairs and capital improvements. The land transfer agreement stipulates that the $14 million payment earmarked for lakefront park improvements be spent within three years.

Will the marinas located in the lakefront parks be open?

The marinas at East 55th Street and Wildwood Park are open. Unfortunately, due to damage sustained during Hurricane Sandy, the marina at Edgewater Park will remain closed for further repairs. However, the public boat launch ramp at Edgewater is open and the boat launch ramps at Gordon Park and Wildwood are open as well.

What sort of activities can I do at these parks?

There are a number of amenities and activities available at the lakefront properties including walking and biking trails, piers for fishing, boat launch ramps, reservable picnic areas, picnic shelters, marinas, bird watching, playgrounds, grills, sandy beaches, swimming, and of course, beautiful views of Lake Erie, the downtown skyline and sunsets.

How can I find out if the water is clean enough for swimming?

The Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District monitors beach water quality at several Lake Erie beaches, including Edgewater Park. They utilize a “Nowcast system” that predicts water quality and results are posted on the NEORSD website,, the Ohio Nowcast site, or via Twitter at Signs are also posted at the beach.

Who do I call to rent a picnic facility?

To rent a picnic facility, call Cleveland Metroparks Special Events & Experiences at 216-635-3200 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

What will the hours of the parks be?

The lakefront parks will be open daily from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Who do I call if I want to schedule a special event at one of these parks?

Special events, such as a wedding, will require a permit. Please call Cleveland Metroparks Special Events & Experiences at 216-635-3200 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Who do I call if I am in one of the parks and see an illegal or suspicious activity?

If faced with an emergency, notify Cleveland Metroparks Ranger Headquarters immediately by calling 440-333-4911 or dial 9-1-1. If you spot a Park District employee, notify them of your situation as well. They will assist you in contacting a Ranger for help. Non-emergency situations should be reported to Ranger Headquarters at 440-331-5530.

How do I rent dock space for my boat?

Dock space may be available through Edgewater Marina and Wildwood Marina. Please contact them directly. Dock space at the East 55th Street Marina can be reserved by calling Cleveland Metroparks at 216-881-8141.

If I am a member of a yacht club (including Lakeside, Forest City, Wildwood, Edgewater or Intercity) and I need something fixed, who do I call?

If you are a member of a yacht club, please contact your commodore. The leases that were held between the yacht clubs and the State of Ohio Department of Natural Resources are still viable leases, except they are now between the yacht clubs and Cleveland Metroparks. Those leases state that repairs are the responsibility of the yacht clubs. In the event you are unclear on repair responsibility, or have another question, your commodore will be able to handle your question or can contact Cleveland Metroparks to get an answer for you.

I’d like to volunteer for Cleveland Metroparks, who should I call?

To become a Cleveland Metroparks volunteer, please call Volunteer Services at 440-253-2143 or apply online at