Overnights: Outback After Dark
Program Type(s): Adult, Corporate, Educators, Families, Groups
Outback After Dark is our Australian-themed overnight Zoo adventure. Participants will enjoy a night at an Australian sheep ranch in the "outback." The program combines elements of Aboriginal culture, such as the opportunity to play a didgeridoo and the European ranching culture of Australia. The group will see and learn about some of the animals that have been introduced to Australia and their impact on the environment. They will meet some of the Zoo's smaller Australian animals.
For parents looking for more details or group leaders looking for key points to share with their group please use this Parents' Guide.
Each Overnight Program includes:
- Program curriculum and equipment
- Counselors that will stay with your group through the entire program
- Sleep in one of the Zoo's program locations (sleep locations and arrangements based on gender of groups registered)
- Light evening snack
- Secure sleeping location
- Light breakfast
- Admission to the Zoo and The RainForest immediately following the program
- Cost of overnights is $39 per person
- Maximum group size is 30 people for Outback after Dark
- Although there is no minimum size for your group, there must be 15 total people registered for a program to run. Low enrollment will cause the night to be cancelled.
- Children must be at least 6 years old.
- We require at least 1 adult for every 10 children registered. For every 10 paid children one adult is admitted free. (Discount for free adult is not applied in online shopping cart but will be applied before final payment).
- A non-refundable deposit must be paid upon registration. This deposit amount is based upon number of campers in your group and is applied to your final payment.
- Full payment and completed waivers and/or roster sheet are due one week prior to the overnight.
- Participants who do not attend their scheduled overnight (no show) may not receive a refund nor may they transfer to another date.
- Original waivers need to be turned in prior to the program.
Click the "Register" button at the top of the page to view exact times and dates.
Cost of overnights is $39 per person.
When is Outback After Dark Available?
Outback After Dark can be scheduled in April, May-September, or October on either a Friday night to Saturday Morning or Saturday night to Sunday morning. We do reserve the right to black out certain dates to accommodate large Zoo events.
Where do we sleep for Outback after Dark?
What time do the overnight programs run?
The sleeping area for Outback After Dark is in the Reinberger Homestead in the Australian Adventure area of the Zoo.
Overnights begin promptly at 7 p.m. and end the following morning at 10:00 a.m. Due to safety and security reasons we cannot accommodate any participant needing to arrive or leave between the hours of 7:30 p.m. and 7:30 a.m.
What do I bring with me?
Sleeping bags and pillows are necessary, as you will be sleeping on the floor. Camping mats are provided. Please be sure to pack appropriate clothing for the predicted weather (sleepwear, change of clothes, towel, wash cloth, toiletries, outdoor garments, and comfortable shoes). The program runs rain or shine.
Do I need to have a waiver/emergency treatment release form?
Waiver/emergency treatment release forms must be filled out and signed on both sides. ALL participants, children and adults, are required to have his/her own form. Children will not be permitted to attend an overnight program without a completed waiver/emergency form.
Why do I need to submit the waivers/roster before the night of my program?
We need to see that all the forms are completed and signed as directed by Cleveland Metroparks Legal Department. We need to know of any special dietary/medical accommodations or medical equipment usage.
Can the group visit the Zoo after their program?
Participants are welcome to stay in The RainForest and/or Zoo immediately following their program. Each participant will be given a wristband that is valid for that day only if they are remaining in the Zoo.
If we are staying in the Zoo after the program, what do we do with our gear?
One of the first morning activities is to gather your gear and load it into one of the Zoo vans to be transported to the parking lot, where you will load it into your vehicles. If you will not have vehicles available first thing in the morning, please call the registration office at 216-635-3391.
Where do I park/go to begin the program?
Parking is in the Zoo's Lion lot, which is across the road from the Zoo entrance. To begin the program you will carry your gear to the entrance of the Reinberger Education Center, which is up the sidewalk to the left of the main Zoo entrance. Rising Waters Participants will wait in the parking lot for the van to pick up their gear.
What happens if my program is cancelled due to low enrollment?
You will be notified 3 weeks ahead of time if your program is in danger of not running, and you may either choose an alternative date or you will be given a refund.
Do you still run the program if the weather is bad?
Our programs run in all weather conditions. We will make adjustments to the program depending on the weather to make sure that everyone is safe. In cases of severe weather emergencies (as determined by local authorities), the group leader will be contacted within 24 hours of the program start.
Do you supply food with this program?
We offer a light evening snack, and a continental style breakfast. We ask that participants eat dinner before coming to the program.
Can I bring my own food?
You may only bring in food for medical or special dietary reasons.
Can I bring a birthday cake?
We do allow birthday cakes. Since you might be doing the program with others, we ask that you bring enough for all participants of the program.
Where do I pick up my child after the program is completed?
You can pick up your child at the main Zoo entrance after the program is completed at 10 a. m. The finish location of the program may not be near the main gate, so please allow time for your child to accompany his/her group leader to the main gate for pick-up as close to 10 a.m. as possible. If you wish to visit the Zoo with your child you may purchase admission at the box office.