Professional Development - Early Childhood Teacher Workshops: Nurture the Wonder
Program Type(s): Educators
Learn how to capture children's natural curiosity about the world around them and incorporate inquiry-based learning techniques into your classroom.
Nurture the Wonder at Cleveland Metroparks Zoo is a series of five workshops designed specifically to teach early childhood educators how to meaningfully and creatively incorporate science into their classroom. Created for teachers by teachers, these five modules include: The Rainforest, African Elephant Crossing, Australian Adventure, Nature Discovery Ridge, and The Wonderful World of Water.
Educators have the opportunity to explore different areas of the Zoo during each workshop, as well as work alongside others in their field to learn best practices in bringing inquiry-based learning into the classroom. Whether your students will be able to use the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo as their personal classroom for a day or not, the lesson plans and classroom materials provided will make this professional development opportunity worthwhile for every teacher.
Participants receive three (3) Ohio Approved for Step Up To Quality hours* with the completion of each workshop. The cost includes program attendance, admission to the Zoo, a course binder with lesson plans aligned to the Ohio Early Learning & Development Standards, and take-home classroom materials.
*Due to some changes within the OCCRRA system, credit for workshops might not be immediate; however, credit will be retroactive should the need arise. Currently, the various workshops have different approvals depending on their previous certifications. Contact us if you would like to know the current approval status of a specific workshop. Additionally, if you are seeking credit for this Professional Development, please bring your OPIN.
All Nuture the Wonder workshops will meet in the Reinberger Education Building which is located to the left of the main Zoo entrance unless otherwise noted.
- Saturday, January 16, 9am-noon: The Rainforest (Meet in The Rainforest Jungle Lab)
- Saturday, February 20, 9am-noon: The Rainforest (Meet in The Rainforest Jungle Lab)
- Saturday, March 12, 9am-noon: African Elephant Crossing
- Saturday, April 9, 9am-noon: Australian Adventure
- Tuesday, April 19, 4pm-7pm: Nature Discovery Ridge
- Saturday, May 7, 9am-noon: The Wonderful World of Water (Meet in The Rainforest Jungle Lab)
- Thursday, May 19, 4pm-7pm: African Elephant Crossing
- Saturday, September 10, 9am-noon: Nature Discovery Ridge
- Wednesday, September 21, 4pm-7pm: Australian Adventure
- Saturday, October 8, 9am-noon: African Elephant Crossing
- Thursday, October 20, 4pm-7pm: Nature Discovery Ridge
- Saturday, November 12, 9am-noon: Australian Adventure
- Wednesday, November 16, 4pm-7pm: The Wonderful World of Water
- Saturday, December 10, 9am-noon: The Rainforest (Meet in The Rainforest Jungle Lab)
All participants are required to pay $25 to attend this teacher workshop no later than one week prior to the program's start date. Based on your school's eligibility, this $25 fee may be waived if at least 30% or more of the school's student body (where you teach) is on the federal free and reduced lunch program as verified through the Ohio Department of Education.