Professional Development - Early Childhood Teacher Workshops: Nurture the Wonder
Program Type(s): Educators
Nurture the Wonder at Cleveland Metroparks Zoo is a series of workshops designed specifically to teach early childhood educators how to effectively and comfortably teach age-appropriate science lessons to young students. Different areas of the Zoo are explored at each workshop as participants learn how to capture children’s natural curiosity about the world around them. Participants receive 3 Ohio Department of Education approved contact hours for the completion of each workshop. Cost includes program attendance and admission to the Zoo, course binder with standards aligned lesson plans and take-home classroom materials. A bus voucher to bring students back to the zoo for a complimentary educational field experience can be applied for here
(availability is limited). 3 different modules are offered: The RainForest, African Elephant Crossing, and Australian Adventure. Workshops are held on average twice per month, year round. Those who work with underserved audiences are eligible to participate at no cost.
All Nuture the Wonder workshops will meet in the Reinberger Education Building which is located to the left of the main Zoo entrance.
- Saturday, August 22nd, 9am-noon: Nature Play
- Saturday, September 12th, 9am-noon: Australian Adventure
- Wednesday, September 23rd, 4pm-7pm: Australian Adventure
- Saturday, October 10th, 9am-noon: Nature Play
- Friday, October 16th (NEOEA Day), 9am-noon: Nature Play
- Saturday, November 7th, 9am-noon: The Wonderful World of Water
- Wednesday, November 18th, 4pm-7pm: African Elephant Crossing
- Saturday, December 12th, 9am-noon: The RainForest
All participants are required to pay $25 to attend this teacher workshop no later than one week prior to the program's start date. Based on your school's eligibility, this $25 fee may be waived if at least 30% or more of the school's student body (where you teach) is on the federal free and reduced lunch program as verified through the Ohio Department of Education.